Arab League seeks urgent UN meet on Gaza

The Arab League is calling for the UN Security Council to hold an urgent meeting to discuss the deadly Israeli air campaign against the Gaza Strip, Secretary General Nabil al-Arabi says.

Twelve people were killed on Tuesday and another 80 wounded in a number of attacks in the most serious flare-up in and around the Palestinian territory since November 2012.

An official from the pan-Arab bloc said Arabi had “instructed the Arab League’s UN representative to initiate urgent consultations within the Arab group calling for an emergency security meeting of the Security Council.”

Earlier, Palestinian president Mahmud Abbas asked the international community to “immediately intervene to halt this dangerous escalation which would lead the region to more destruction and instability”.

Arabi said he had been “in touch with president Abbas to follow the latest developments in the Gaza Strip” while also continuing “consultations with Arab foreign ministers on this subject”.

He denounced the “dangerous Israeli escalation” and warned against its humanitarian consequences in Gaza.

“The continued attacks on Palestinian civilians by Israel is a flagrant violation of international humanitarian law, the Geneva Convention and international resolutions on occupied Palestine,” said the Arab League chief.

Where does Arab League stand in the Israel-Gaza conflict?

The worsening Israel-Gaza conflict has sparked a new tension in the region. Israel, which had been showing exemplary restraint towards attacks from Gaza ever since 2009, launched an air attack on November 14 that killed Hamas’ military wing commander. Thereafter, it has conducted several air strikes on Gaza; though, it has not yet initiated a ground war. Meanwhile, Muhammad Morsi, Egypt’s new president, is working towards mediating a truce between Israel and Hamas.
Continue reading

Condition of the Common People in Gaza & Israel

The conflict between Israel and the Palestinian Government of Hamas that started on November 14, 2012 and continued till the ceasefire truce on November 21, 2012, has severely disrupted the lives of ordinary people in the Gaza strip. According to the Palestine Centre for Human Rights, the 8-day cross-border fighting resulted in the death of 156 Palestinians, including 33 children and minors.
Continue reading

Egypt’s efforts support to the Palestinians is supported by the Arab ministers

After the UN Security Council failed to bring about any respite between Israel and Gaza, Egypt, among many other countries, has tried to take the cause in its own hands. This initiative taken by Egypt is being supported by other Arab ministers. The ‘aggression’ that started off between these two countries needs to die as soon as possible to avoid further mass murders, rocket fires, missile projections and, most importantly, to restore peace in the Middle East region.
Continue reading

Egypt Making Efforts to Calm Tension in Gaza

Finally, the massive massacre caused by the Israel-Hamas rocket fights has come to a halt and normal life has started gaining momentum for the civilians. After the ceasefire that was declared by the Egyptian government on 21st November, there has been a check on the cross-border fight between Israel and Hamas, the Palestinian party that had forcefully seized Gaza in 2007.
Continue reading